8.15.2012

for Your splendor


I think it’s time for Jeremy and I to give a life update to our friends and family (and all you other facebook acquaintances who are simply curious).

[the house]: In case you didn’t know, Jeremy and I bought a house in 2008. When we bought this house, we honestly thought we would stay in it for three years, sell it, make money, and move to seminary. That was “the plan.”

Well, as we all know, the housing market took quite a tumble in 2008; therefore, leaving us stranded in our house. Through this, there have been many tears shed, many questions asked, and our hearts have been torn over the realization that we are not moving out Birmingham for a while now.

[courtney’s job]: In 2011, I started working for a great non-profit called WMU. WMU specializes in the development of missions resources, the publication of Christian literature, and helping artisans around the world through the sale of fair-trade products.

In this job, I get to read missionaries’ stories all the time, gain ideas for reaching others in my community, and develop missions curriculum for young adult women. Plus, I get to work with an amazing group of women and men committed to making disciples of all nations. I’m in a great place.

[a new season]: As many of you know, Jeremy has taught in the Shelby County school system for over four years. He has been a JV boys’ and Varsity girls’ basketball coach. He’s a great educator with a passion for students and kids. But his true passion is to teach the Word.

Jeremy and I began praying for God to open doors for us to serve more in our community. We were thinking that meant potentially changing churches or beginning to serve in a new ministry. God had other ideas.

At the end of April (this year), someone who was on a search committee approached Jeremy because they were looking for a part-time youth minister. After much prayer and consideration, Jeremy quit his coaching position and took this job.

That position was at a wonderful church where we loved the people and students. However, Jeremy began longing to teach the Word and be a minister full-time. We began to pray for God to open a door to make this happen. I mentioned this to a close friend, and she said her church was actually looking at hiring a full-time children’s and youth pastor.

[A long story short]: After much prayer and seeking the counsel of those closest to us, Jeremy has now quit his full-time teaching position to take a full-time position of Youth, Children, and Community Outreach Minister at Riverchase Baptist Church in Hoover. We could not be more excited. This position provides him the opportunity to use his gifts and abilities to serve the Lord and people. And he will have the opportunity to begin seminary in the near future. This position is honestly perfect for Jeremy. I see so many opportunities for him to use his talents and abilities to serve this community. I praise God that He opened this door for Jeremy’s job to be a minister.

I never thought I wanted to be a minister’s wife because I wanted to be a minister or missionary, yet I have found that I am as much a part of this process as he is. I am sure I will learn more as time passes of the joys and challenges of being a minister’s wife. It’s a new adventure within itself. As I have prayed about my role in this process, I have found that I consider myself a minister to the minister. And I am content with this role.

I will start my masters in education (with a concentration in school counseling) in a couple weeks. If you know me, you know I've worked with students and kids since I was a youth. This is something the Lord has laid on my heart as my love for children and students only grows (especially with Jeremy taking on this new role). I cannot wait to see where the Lord leads with this new journey.

[what about doing missions?]: One question I have heard from a few people is, “Are you and Jeremy still going overseas?” My answer is, “I don’t know.” It’s not that we are not willing. Because we are. It’s not that we don’t “have a heart for it.” Because we do. It’s simply that the Lord has not opened that door for us at this time. We have a great desire to serve God overseas in an intercultural setting, yet see plenty of opportunity to serve Him here where He has placed us. Since that desire has not disappeared yet, I see this as something the Lord will reveal to us in His time.

There are days I am anxious over this—not going overseas right now. There are other days I am incredibly thankful for the time we have here with our friends and family and now our new church family. I know He has created me to serve Him and I know I enjoy working in diverse settings. I simply don’t know what the future holds anymore other than serving Him where He leads. And I believe this is enough.

What I do know is that our new church family makes my heart happy to be right where I am. I can see the Lord moving in this body of people to make disciples in the Hoover area and around the world. I get excited when thinking about working with students and children. I am full of joy when I think of my husband getting to use his God-given creativity to teach others about our God. And I am overwhelmed when I think of serving God and others alongside my husband.

I have found comfort in the Old Testament stories lately. Especially the ones where God would give someone a specific calling, yet not bring that calling to fruition until much later and sometimes in a different way than initially thought. One of the greatest stories is Abraham and Sarah’s. The Lord said, “Go to the land I will show you” and Abraham went. The Lord said, “Go and sacrifice your son” and Abraham rose. The Lord continuously led Abraham to situations that seemed so counter from the original calling, yet it was all for His glory. And the faith of Abraham was astounding.

I pray Jeremy and I continue to go where the Lord leads and do as the Lord commands. I pray we continue to see opportunities to serve others and tell them about His love. I pray we have faith to trust His leadership over our lives. And I pray my soul finds rest and peace as we live our life fully here. Although it isn’t what I thought it would be. Although “I never thought I wanted to be a minister’s wife,” He is teaching us His path.

And I’m learning that His ways are better than my own.

In hope he [Abraham] believed against hope, that he should become the father of many nations, as he had been told, “So shall your offspring be.” He did not weaken in faith when he considered his own body, which was as good as dead (since he was about a hundred years old), or when he considered the barrenness of Sarah's womb. No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised” (Romans 4:18-21).

-From a minister’s wife

No comments: