1.16.2013

running the race



“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us” (Hebrews 12:1). 
 
When people hear that I am training for a half marathon and just run in general, they often say a series of statements or questions:

  1. How/why did you start running?
  2. Did you run in high school?
  3. I wouldn’t have time for that. I bet you run every day.
  4. I hate running.
  5. I hate running outside/on the treadmill.
  6. I’m too old to start that. You’re much younger than me.
  7. I really hate running.
I have answered all of these questions/statements many times; therefore, wanted to create a post in order for more people to see how doable and beneficial running can be.

1. How/why did you start running?


Contrary to popular belief, I did not wake up one morning and think: Today, I will run. However, I did begin to see a series of physical symptoms resembling the need to exercise in some form or fashion. The symptoms included:
  •         Insomnia
  •         Stomach issues (caused in part by a horrible diet, which I will discuss in a later post.)
  •         Fatigue throughout the day
  •         Shortness of breath when walking up stairs
  •         Weight gain (I gained 10 pounds in the span of a year)
  •         Clothes not fitting
  •         Feeling stressed, sad, or emotional a lot
  •         Getting easily angered or frustrated
So why did I start running? I didn’t want to feel all of the above anymore. I had heard of the benefits of running from my Concepts of Fitness teacher in college and knew that running could potentially help.

How did I start running? I had heard of couch to 5k (C25k) programs (and used the Ease into 5k phone app) from a few friends who used it. A 5k is really the most basic goal of running you can have. If you only aim to run a mile or two, you really aren’t pushing your body enough to make a significant change. A 5k equals 3.1 miles. That seemed nearly impossible to me when I first began. Week 1 of my Couch to 5k program went something like this: Walk, Run (but not the full amount of time), Walk, Run (but stop halfway through), Walk, etc.

I started the C25k program in November of 2011 and I stayed on week 2 for about a month. Then, in January, a friend of mine (Sheryl Turner) said she and her husband were on a journey to health and they were signing up for a 5k in the near future. I was very encouraged by their story so I said I would sign up for a 5k in March of 2012.

Since it was January, and I was to run my 5k in March, I had to get serious about the program and move beyond week 2. At this point, I was ONLY running on the treadmill and couldn’t run outside…at all.

2. Did you run in high school?

 

I did, but it was only because I played sports and my coaches would use it to punish us for losing or “not working hard.” Therefore, like many people I know, I linked running to punishment and suffering. This has been a mental concept I have had to let go of in order to make running about health and not about something negative.

3. I wouldn’t have time for that. I bet you run every day. 

 

The fact is that I run 3 days a week. I try to get in one or two extra days of cross-training (weights, swimming, yoga, etc.), and I rest for at least two days a week. And most weeks I haven’t been able to do any cross training. All in all, I run THREE days a week. And most of my runs only take 30 minutes to complete. Meaning, if you can spare an hour and a half a week for the sake of your health, you could be in a much better place. If you cannot spare an extra 30 minutes three times a week, then your life is too busy and your health will diminish regardless of exercise. And that is something you need to address before trying to begin an exercise program.

Something that helps me is to schedule those three days of running into my calendar a month ahead of time. And it doesn’t matter if something comes up, those days are written in and they rarely change unless something drastic comes up. My run days are typically Mondays (because I’m off work), Wednesdays or Thursdays, and Saturdays. This hardly ever changes because Monday and Saturday are set days where I am off work and have more time and this means I only have to get in one mid-week run. This is the most difficult to get in, but again, worth it.

Remember, getting back into shape takes time. You’ve sat around on your couch or office chairs for months (or years) now. Don’t expect to run a full 5k tomorrow or even next week. Don’t even expect to run a full mile right now or even a half mile. It takes time to get your body use to the stress you are putting on it. Don’t hurry this. You will get results, but have some patience.

4. I hate running.

 

Here’s the truth: I do not LOVE running. I have come to appreciate it, but it was not love at first sight. There have been times where I wanted to throw my running shoes out my car window while driving down the interstate just to have an excuse to not run that day. There have been mornings when it was 34 degrees outside and it took every fiber of my being to get me to step out the door. And there have been times during the summer when it was 90 degrees and humid and it started raining and I did not LOVE running.

But, I ran.

I ran because anything worth anything takes time and dedication and effort. It takes commitment and devotion and a little (dare I say) suffering.

5. I hate running outside/on the treadmill.

 

When I first began running, I ONLY ran on the treadmill. Nice, air-conditioned rooms with TVs to keep me occupied, yes please. It was around week 3 or 4 of the C25k that I began to run outside. I think that was best though because I needed to learn, while on the treadmill, what my comfortable running pace was. Each time I ran outside, I ran WAY too fast. If you do run outside, try to get the Nike+ app or some way to determine your minutes per mile or you will probably run too fast as well and burn out quickly.

Now, I hate running on the treadmill. Once you begin to run outside, find pretty parks or neighborhoods where you enjoy running there. Change it up and don’t run the same paths all the time or your muscle memory will kick in and you will not want to run at all that day. Outside scenery keeps your mind occupied and helps to pass the time. Being outside connects me to God as well. I use most of my run time as a time of prayer.

6. I’m too old to start that. You’re much younger than me.

 

For this statement, I will just say this: there are 80+ year-olds at the races I run and some of them beat me. If they can do it, you can too.

And my friends JT and Sheryl (who are not “old,” but they are older than I am) have an amazing story of how an entire family can work towards a healthy lifestyle together with the Lord’s strength. Read their blog. I promise you will be inspired. They are an inspiration to Jeremy and me.

7. I really hate running. 

 

When I hear this now, I just smile. I have been there, too.

A few of my mantras in running are:
  • No excuses. (This means if I’m sick, tired, stressed, emotional, cramping, wanting to go eat ice cream, or just plain don’t want to run, I still run.)
  • No competition. (This is something I learned from yoga and has helped tremendously to take pressure off of myself to perform like an Olympic athlete. Don’t compare yourself to others. Challenge yourself, but don’t even have a competition with yourself. Just run. Enjoy it. Don’t make it into another something you have to worry over.)
  • Attack the hill! (This is my hill mantra. You’ll need one. You’ll see. I borrowed mine from a guy I knew at Samford. Read his blog post on his hill mantra. It helped me to fight the hills better and let them make me stronger.)

God+ Running: 

 

Running is not easy. But the rewards are worth it. And the spiritual implications have been the most important aspects for me to learn from running.

There are many parallels between the discipline of our physical bodies and our spiritual journeys. Neither one is simple. Both come through sacrifice. Both make you want to quit part way through and take the easy road. Both are a journey, which will require tears, forgiveness for past mistakes (overeating, laziness, etc.), admittance that you cannot do it on your own, dedication to something that will last, and a community of support to help you along the way. Both are painful during the process, but the rewards at the end of the journey are worth it and they are eternal.

Running takes discipline. That’s a word I was very unfamiliar with until I entered this process. But when I am “suffering” during my run and my legs are giving out or my body is telling me to quit, I pray and I convince my mind that this suffering is worth the rewards that come from it. And this suffering is temporary and will fade. The rewards are eternal and of value.

May your runs be a reminder of your journey with our God. Although it can seem painful at times and you can go through trials and suffering, finish strong the race that is set before you because the end goal of His Name among all nations and our eternal life with Him are worth it.

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace” (Acts 20:24).




No comments: